Bria is a type of softphone (software telephone) created by a company called Counterpath that can be loaded on your computer, tablet or smart phone so that you can make/take calls using your Press8 Telecom account and any internet connection including Wi-Fi.
To see all the ways you can use and purchase Bria go here: http://www.counterpath.com/softphone-products.html. The free x-lite softphone download is located here: http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html and a comparison of the two softphone features is here: http://www.counterpath.com/desktop-comparison/
X-lite only allows a single SIP registration, has only one codec (g711), does not have presence monitoring (to see the hook status of other phones on your system) and does not come with any technical support from Counterpath.
While this softphone does not have any special requirements over other devices, the instructions provided below are specifically for X-lite and Bria installed on a computer but can be used for any of the Bria Apps including the iPhone App, Android App, iPad App etc.
- Go to the Press8 Help Desk and add a ticket asking to have a new Bria extension created for a current user on your account.
- Press8 Support will email you the following information: User ID, & Password.
- In X-Lite (or Bria 4)
- First install the program. Bria 4 will ask you for information and instead of inputting it there click the dropdown and choose: "Manually Input My Information" and click next.
- Input your software key (if prompted).
- Navigate to: Account Settings
- Account Name - Anything you want. Choose a distinctive name for this account.
- User ID - The 7-digit extension number provided by Press8 support.
- Domain - sip.press8.com
- Password - The password provided by Press8 support.
- Display Name - Optional. This name is presented to other extensions on your system
- Authorized user name - leave blank
- Leave checked "Register with domain and receive calls"
- Select "Domain" for Sent outbound via
- Click on the Voicemail tab, and enter the following:
- Enable "Check for voicemail"
- Number to dial for checking voicemail - *1
- Click on the Advanced tab, and enter the following:
- Re-register every - 300 seconds
- Enable "Force outbound proxy on all requests" (required for Bria presence monitoring)
- Done! Press OK, and return the the main X-Lite or Bria phone image. The phone status should indicate it is ready with the Green handset idcon, at which time you can start placing and receiving telephone calls.
Note: The softphone is best suited with a USB headset. You can get a USB headset anywhere by Google search of "USB telephone headset".